Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Personal Rejuvination

I wish I could share this incredible experience that I've had recently with personal rejuvination, but instead, I am going to plead for some ideas on how to obtain it. Now, before I go any further, let me just clarify that I'm a happy person and I enjoy most aspects of my life most of the time :)

To say that I'm exhausted is an understatement! I have reached a point in my life where I feel like I am quickly losing control. I have so many obligations to fulfill and simply not enough time to do them all. Between work, household chores/projects, Young Womens, babysitting, couple time, family time, social time, errands, etc., I am completely spent (and I don't even have kids yet!). There are very few days when I feel like I've completed all that needed to be done, and more often than not, I start off my day feeling overwhelmed.

Like I said before, I am a happy person and I am very pleased with this stage in my life. But I've also realized that I have allowed my life to control me, instead of me controlling my life. I feel like I have given up on many things I like to do, so that I have enough time/energy to do the things I need to do. Case in point: I haven't had a day off work (excluding holidays) since our wedding. And quite honestly, that wasn't much of a vacation. So really, it's been a year since I went to Florida last summer, and that was the last real "vacation" I've had. I was finally able to convince Chris that we needed to get away for the weekend, so we are going to St. George in August. Other than that, my friends, I have nothing to look forward to. How sad!

So, it is with deep sincerity that I plead for your help. I need some ideas of how to find and spend more time for myself, without having to jeopardize any of my obligations, or feeling guilty about it. And I would love to say that I'll just give up on everything else for a few days, but you all know that I could never do that (my OCD would kick in before I was able to enjoy anything!).

Feel free to leave your suggestions and comments. I would love to hear how you cope with the various stages of your lives.

7 comments:

Shelly said...

Those magazines you buy and never have time to read? They go in the bathroom! If you have to spend 20 min "going to the bathroom" to get 20 min to yourself and read your magazine (or do your crossword, whatever) then do it! Bathroom time is your time and is not to be interrupted. No one said you actually had to be GOING to the bathroom. :)

Anonymous said...

Well... my husband is a wonderful example of getting plenty of rejuvination time. I find myself getting really wound up and if it weren't for him I'm sure I'd be crazy sometimes! I always have to remind myself that even though I'm spending time doing good things, if it's not leaving enough time for the most important things in life, then it's not worth it! Personal Rejuvination is right up there with the most important things! It's so important to be balanced and to not let those seemingly important things take over! I'm only saying this cause it's a good reminder for me too! :) Take some time for yourself! (We won't be offended if you sacrifice some of your social obligations... that's usually one of the first things that goes for us!!)

McLerran Family said...

Courtney, you're amazing! I've always been impressed with how well you manage your time. I think taking a small break for yourself every day is so important. It doesn't have to be anything huge or time consuming but if it helps you feel calm and energized then it's totatlly worth it.

Kathy said...

I'd say make sure the first thing you make time for is prayer/scripture study. I find things get a lot worse if I let those slide. Life can be rough, that's for sure. Prioritize and put the most important things in first and yes, some of the less-important things may not fit, but it won't do you any good to burn out and not be able to do anything... GOOD LUCK!!

inanechatter said...

Schedule sometime to do something you want to do (even if it's taking a nap or reading a book). That way if someone asks you to do something you can say you have plans (and honestly you do) and don't let other things get in the way. Maybe set aside a couple hours each week to do something relaxing so that you can feel ready to face the rest of your week.

Sherwoods said...

I had to learn to let my OCD go and realize some things just aren't important in life (is it more important to spend time with my family, or go scrub that filthy toilet that hasn't been cleaned recently).

It also helps that now I moved to Mexico, I have a maid.

Good luck on your quest!

Jill said...

Huh, that's funny, I've been feeling the same way lately. It seems like if I have maybe only 2 tasks that absolutely have to get done during the day, there still isn't enough time to do them. I am interested to see what advice others give you too because I am completely out of control! I start something and my kids somehow don't allow me to finish anything! :)