Friday, December 11, 2009

Quick Survey

I'm going to pack my hospital and diaper bags this weekend so that they're ready whenever we need them. As I was thinking about what I needed to pack, I realized I didn't really know. Therefore, I would like some suggestions.

What things do you pack in your hospital/diaper bag(s)?
What things are provided by the hospital that I don't need to worry about?
What things can you not live without?
What things do you wish you would've packed, but didn't?

I'm very interested to hear your responses. Thanks in advance for the advice!

11 comments:

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsey said...

*pajamas or nightgown of your own (IF you don’t want to wear a gown) but make sure they are easily accessible for nursing but they are probably going to get bloody so make sure they aren’t your favorite ones
*nursing bra
*clothes for the baby to take him home in (and you can also take your own clothes to put on him in the hospital if you like)
*Cameras!
*your own pillow — I DEFINITELY recommend this
*shampoo/conditoner and all your toiletries. A shower feels so nice!
*The hospital might provide these at first but they are called Tucks (they are a medicated, numbing wet pad that you will totally want to wear for a few weeks after birth to help swelling/stitches if you have any).
*cell phone and charger obviously, you will be making a lot of calls I am sure.
*car seat installed in the car (the hospital checks most of the time to see that you have one)
*Clothes to wear home, but they still need to be maternity clothes since all your weight won't magically disappear.
*The hospital provided for me a numbing spray called Dermoplast and I went through it like crazy and had to buy more when I got home. It helped so much!
*Depending on how long, easy, hard, your labor is you may want to take stuff to do...magazines, book, movies, laptop, etc. It helps pass the time!

Each hospital is different so it is hard to know what they will/won't provide.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

It's getting soo close!
I wish I wish I'd packed some shampoo and conditioner! I didn't think of that, and Johnson's baby wash just didn't cut it for me. The hospital really does a good job taking care of you though. All I took with my was my own pillow, clothes to come home in, babies clothes to come home in. Oh and I had some treats like trail mix, granola bars etc. We had Camryn in the middle of the night and I was RAVENOUS right after so I'm so glad I had something to hold me over till breakfast. You could always pack a book or deck of cards or music to take your mind off of things i they are moving slow... By the way, we STILL have your gift! We need to catch up sometime so I can give it to you! Good luck Court, you'll do great! It's so much fun! Just enjoy every minute of it!

Anonymous said...

Lindsey did a good job! I took all of those things too. Nursing bra- yes! I got a sleeping bra from Motherhood and I LOVE it! they are great! Just make sure Chris is ready for a good Walmart trip right when you get home from the hospital. Tell him not to be scared of buying nursing pads for you! Oh, the hospital gives you some sample Lansinoh but it's not alot, and feel free to call me if you have any nursing questions. I'd be more than willing to help!

Chuck and Julie Browne said...

I brought my Journal to write down my experience while it was fresh in my mind. I also brought a book but never opened it.. I could not concentrate long enough to sit and read something while I was going through such a life changing experience. I wanted to be present and just soak in the whole experience. While I was in labor I napped, watched movies,and received massages. Of course I opted for the epidural so I was in no pain so I guess that can be situational. The girls above mentioned pretty much everything you want to have. Hospitals give you pretty much everything.. and ask for more when you leave so you don't have to buy it yourself.
p.s. the hospital gowns are so comfortable you will want to take one home for yourself. I would not bring your own unless you have a gown.. the last thing you will want to wear is pajama pants. Good Luck!!

Shelly said...

If Chris will be staying the night at the hospital and if the hospital is not too far from your house, it's really no big deal!! He's capable of leaving and getting you something to eat at denny's at 4am, or to run home and get anything you want but didn't think of.
Bring your ipod (nice to have SOMETHING to do in the middle of the night when you can't sleep and everyone else is and you feel bad turning the tv on.)
your PILLOW,
your normal toiletries, even make-up, you'd be amazed at what that will do for pick-me-up and you'll feel so much better after a shower, doing your hair and make up.
Comfy pants that are baggy, you may be there longer than a hospital gown is necessary.
Slippers are nice too when walking around the hospital room.
A game or something to do when you're in labor...
Tell CHRIS to bring a book or a laptop. He'll get bored. You may as well have a book too, though you'll get plenty of reading material there.
Hospitals normally provide you with binkies, diapers, babywipes, a diaperbag (or two) filled with sample sized goodies and tons of coupons, little brush and comb, bulb syringe, alcohol wipes, etc. Ask for extra of certain things too if you want, we asked for an extra binky and more diapers, and more formula. They also provide a hat and few blankets for your baby, and usually a straight-jacket shirt looking thing for baby.
Sorry, hope that helps! I always brought comfy pants and a baggy hoodie sweatshirt for on the way home. They hide a lot and are more comfy than a coat. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

I packed a ton of stuff and didnt use half of it. I actually ended up staying the the hospital gown while I was there, they are comfy and if they get yucky they have to wash them (seriously who wants to do laundry:). Also the gowns provide easy access for nursing :) I did use the Shampoo and soap that I brought and was SO grateful for that! The hospital provided all of the diapers and stuff for the baby. So I only really used the going home outfit for the baby. Definitely, pack some treats I was always way hungry and rarely got a bite to eat in before someone came to visit or a nurse came in. I actually ended going home in the sweats that I came to the hospital in cause, I just put it on right before I went to the hospital, it was so comfy. Oh and you will want to probably get some of your own comfy maxi pads. The ones they give were okay for the hospital but once I got home and was moving they were a little awkward. :)

Sherwoods said...

People have pretty much covered it. The only thing I would add is tons of Lansinoh. I went through that stuff like crazy after each of my kids. I have had babies in three different states and they have always provided everything for the baby except going home clothes and car seat. I also would recommend chapstick, but I have a love affair with that stuff. Good luck!

Mostly Them said...

The good news is, the hospital pretty much supplies everything for little cooper! But when you get the chance any extras they have in the room for him or you.. TAKE! you are already paying for them! I did and came home with a bunch of stuff that I hadn't planned on. I didn't bring any of my own clothes, which I was glad about since the ones I was wearing got bloody and dirty. Make sure the outfit you bring to wear home for you fits! Mine was still too tight!

Either way court.. i know you, and I am sure that you bag is well prepared and planned out! (I love that about you!) So excited for you friend!

Keri West said...

Wow, you got lots of great advice! All of them are great ideas, I just want to reiterate the idea of bringing your journal. I wrote in my journal for both boys within a few hours of their births & it is priceless. I even read it now & read details that I had actually forgotten. Good luck!

Kathy said...

I think they've got you covered! I forgot shampoo and was hating life. I also had to make Doug go home for my nail clippers. Ben was unexpectedly early and my fingernails were pretty long. I broke one and was so afraid of scratching my newborn! I brought tons of movies and didn't watch one of them. Food for Chris, jammies for Chris - whatever makes him happy and comfortable so he can dote on your every need.

Pack now - you never know what might happen and it sucks to have your water break then have to run all over the house to find all your cords and chargers and stuff while you're dripping all over the carpet ;).