Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My Dilemma

To eat ice cream, or not to eat ice cream...that is the question!

As many of you are probably aware, I have an obsession for ice cream. It is an understatement to say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE ice cream! I love it in all forms; I love it in all flavors (well, mostly); and I love it at any time of any day. Until recently, I have never even thought twice about eating ice cream. Quite frankly, I have enjoyed many moments with family/friends/roommates who share my afinity for the frozen treat, and have looked forward to such occasions. Unfortunately, times have changed.

During our courtship, engagement, and marriage, I have been able to share lots of things with Chris--including my love of ice cream. He quickly came to know that I ALWAYS have ice cream in my freezer, and that it's quite common for me to want to go out and get ice cream. For the most part, he has been very accomodating--until now!

Don't get me wrong...he's not prohibiting me from eating ice cream, he's just refusing to eat it with me. Honestly, half the fun of eating ice cream is eating it with other people (at least I think so). Chris is on a huge health kick right now because he would like to shed a few pounds (and no, he hasn't gained weight since we've been married--it's just weight that he's had for awhile and doesn't want anymore). And one way he has decided to work towards that goal is to not eat as many sweets--including ice cream. Therefore, I have had to eat ice cream twice this week by myself.

So here's the dilemma: do I continue to eat ice cream as I normally would, even though I feel like a fatty eating in front of my husband who is trying to be more health-conscious; or do I accept that he is trying to be more healthy, and join him in his endeavors? I'm seriously having issues with this--especially because he made a special trip to Wendy's last night, just because I wanted a Frosty. How embarassing!


8 comments:

Desirae said...

Court you are so funny! I love reading your blogs!!! I say you should still eat ice cream!!!!! Even though the hubby is being healthy it doesnt hurt to have an ice cream every now and than!!!!!

Lindsey said...

That is always a tough decision! I'm sure Chris loves you enough that if you choose to still eat ice cream he will not get upset. Is there anything he really likes that you particularly don't? Most of the time it goes both ways :)

Shelly said...

I'm sure it doesn't matter what you do, you're gonna do what you want to do anyway no matter what people comment on. But here's a suggestion anyway. Be more health-conscious with Chris, and CUT BACK on your icecream eating. Start with eliminating one indulgent snack time each week. Then allow yourself only one a week. You can also do what I had to do in college. (after I lived with you of course. :) Not allow yourself any icecream in your freezer, that way you have to go out and get it, and it's more trouble than is worth sometimes. Plus it will cost more, than do your finances and figure out how much a month you are spending on icecream. OR eat it all you want. But pick a low fat kind, or plain vanilla, no extra add ins or flavors. Pretty soon you might get sick of that one flavor and quit eating it! :) Again. Only suggestions. you do what you want because icecream is GOOOOOOOOD!

Mostly Them said...

you better still eat it! all the time.... chris will be a saint when you are pregnant!

~Amber~ said...

Dearest Cuz!
You should not give up something you love just because your hubby doesn't want it. You indulge in that ice cream to your hearts content at the same time be supportive and loving to your husbands needs and wants on the healthy level. As for him driving to wendys to get you a frosty..... GOOD FOR HIM!!! Thats what husbands are supposed to do!

Readyforadventure said...

We will eat ice cream together next time I come for sure!!!!! Keep eating it.

Shawn and Erica said...

Definitely continue to eat ice cream. But I would appreciate it if you would call me when you do so that I can join you! I can't stop thinking about the American Idol Mint Chocolate Chip. It was sooooo good!!

Jen said...

I understand your dilema. I LOVE ice cream too. My family is an ice cream lovin' family. However, Aaron does not love it. At first I was bummed, but slowly after time, I don't even buy it anymore. It would just sit in the freezer because I could not eat the whole thing and he would not touch it. However, Erika (my daughter) loves ice cream too so it has re-found it's place in my freezer.