Thursday, October 30, 2008

God Bless America



"I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free..."

I just voted early and I am so proud of myself! I'm ashamed to admit that this is the first year that I have ever voted. In fact, I wasn't even registered to vote until after I got married (it was an easy box to check on my new driver's license application). I have often contemplated whether or not my vote would actually matter, and have had some inner conflict with the issue. After much consideration, I decided it wasn't as much a matter of who I voted for; rather, a matter of acting upon my freedom as an American citizen.

I am grateful to live in a country that recognizes the rights and privileges of its citizens. I may not fully understand politics, but I do know that my right to vote--especially as a woman--is something that others have fought for, and continue to fight for. I know that there will never be a perfect politician, but I know that I will always have the freedom to decide for myself.

I truly believe that we are "one nation, under God, indivisible" and that there is "liberty and justice for all."

0 comments: