Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Seeking Advice


ATTENTION ALL MOMMIES: I am in need of some well-educated suggestions. Even though the little persona (as Chris affectionately calls our unborn child) isn't due for another six months, I am already feeling the need to start my preparations. Most of you know that I am somewhat of a control freak, so planning ahead isn't all that abnormal for me.

I've decided that we need to begin stocking up on essential items each time we go to the store, so as to prevent bankruptcy when the baby actually comes into the world. While some items seem pretty easy to pick, others actually baffle me. Take diapers, for example. Are they all the same? Are name brands better than store brands? Are there in-store or online coupons available? See my dilemma.

Please feel free to share your suggestions and opinions. I am willing to take any advice I can get. And stay tuned for more shameless pleas for help. I'm considering having an "Item of the Week" for which I can solicit your advice. Because honestly, I don't have a clue what I'm doing :)

16 comments:

Mostly Them said...

I love you friend... this is sooo you.. and i love it.. diapers are NOT the same.. name brand all the way! Get a lot of 3 and 4 diapers! those are the ones they are in the most... newborns are kinda of useless b/c the hospital gives you some and 1's will be just as good... pampers or huggies aren't really different.. just the price..

Shelly said...

I say it totally depends on if you have a boy or girl. In my experience and most people I've talked to, say Huggies for girls, Pampers for boys. Why? I don't know, but it's been true so far for us!! If you are close to a Costco though, go Kirkland. They are WAY cheaper, and I like them best. After using them and going back to Pampers, Pampers feel so thin and cheap. Really, don't waste your time with any white cloud or luvs or anything unless your kid likes paper on their tush and they never pee. My boys have the tendency to SOAK their diapers when they go, and Kirkland are great. Kirkland however, does not make a newborn size, and their first size is a combo 1-2. The hospital will probably use pampers swaddlers, with the little umbilical cord cut out, and will send you home with some. We've found these are great until baby fits into kirkland size 1-2. You will get plenty of huggies and pampers coupons in the mail and in your packages from the hospital and in magazines. You will find things just start coming for free in the mail..magazines, gerber stuff, diaper stuff. I do advise you not stock up a lot on newborn size diapers, your kid won't be in them too long. Get one of each size up to a 3 first, then 1-2 more newborn, a couple 1,2, and 3. But you really won't know what you like til you try it, so maybe just get a few, then put the 10-20 bucks you would have spent on the diapers in the savings for later. But we buy all diapers and wipes the kirkland from costco. good luck!

Shelly said...

wow, sorry, that was way long!

Melissa said...

All I can say, is definitely go with the name brand! I've used Huggies for both my daughter and son, and they have worked wonderfully for both. I also know people who have used Pampers for both boys and girls and loved them. I think that it's really up to you.

I do know, however, that you can go onto Huggies website and register, and they send you coupons in the mail. When buying hundreds and hundreds of diapers, every little bit you can save helps!

Anonymous said...

I've heard that they totally depend on boys or girls too... Obviously I don't have experience yet, but I've actually heard the opposite from what your friend Shelly said??! I've gotten alot of Pampers from my baby showers cause they say they are the only way to avoid blow-outs with the girls, and that Huggies are the only way to avoid blow-outs with the boys?? Who knows? Also, I've been cautioned not to build up too much with diapers, cause you just never know how much for each kind/size you will like or be able to use, cause each baby grows so differently! Wipes on the other hand, are something that you will always use. I think we'll both just have to wait and see what works for both of us :) But, obviously I don't have my own experience, that's just what I've been hearing the last 9 months! Good luck!

McLerran Family said...

I really liked Huggies for when they are tiny (sizes 1 and 2), after that Kirkland works great!

Megan said...

I would caution about buying too many because it is possible that your baby might have an allergy to a brand. I use huggies for Abi and i buy them in bulk at costco or sams club. I think that blow outs are inevitable because it depends on how the diaper is on and if it was wet before and the force behind the blow... It is totally a personal preference!

Kathy said...

We use pampers for our boy and like them. For a while we were using some costco, some huggies and some pampers and we preferred the pampers for night or long nap time. But yeah, don't buy too many since you never know how big the kid will be on arrival, how fast they will grow, or any sensitivities. I hit diapers.com and found good deals there.

Lindsey said...

I have tried tons of brands of diapers and don't like them as well as I like Pampers. They are SO soft, they smell good (really they do), they hold in everything and the fit is better than anything I have tried. They are more expensive but you can find coupons all over and sales on them all the time at Target or Walmart especially on the big boxes. Buy a different size (N-3) everytime you go to the store. It will help out a lot!

inanechatter said...

I was given sum luvs and they tended to give my little one a diaper rash. Right now I use the kirkland brand. They seem to work really well. Just be careful with boys if its pointed right he'll pee right out the side so you have to make sure they're on tight.

Keri West said...

Well, I don't really have too much to add to your other comments. From our experience, go name brand. This is one circumstance where it is definitely worth the extra money. We use Huggies & we buy them in bulk at Costco. When they are brand new, I liked the Swaddler type of diaper. My boys seem to have a lot of acidity in their bowel movements when I breastfeed and the Swaddler diapers help with the diaper rash. But definitely don't stock up on Newborn size. Size 1 "starts" at 8 pounds, so you can usually start with these or only use 1-2 packs of Newborn. Size 3 is the one that they are in for a while. David was in Size 3 for like 6 months. The only other advice I can give you as a fellow planner, don't stress yourself out. There really is only so much you can plan before you drive yourself crazy. Becoming a mommy has a lot of learning as you go. :)

Sherwoods said...

I didn't bother reading every one else's advice, but I will give you mine... I say Huggies all the way. My boys completely wet out of pampers and I hated them. We are a definite huggies family. I buy them at Costco and they are cheaper that way. Also, if you are going to stock up, buy the bigger sizes (3's and 4's). People will give you tons of size 1's for gifts. Just don't move to Mexico because they are double the price down here! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I have found Huggies work the best and Costco has the best price per diaper. The other ones are nice and stretchy. And like your friend said above buy lots of size 3 and 4 :)

Lisa said...

We are a Huggies family too! I think I was given at least one pack of every brand out there, and we used them all. But in the end, we definately liked huggies the best. If you do go with Huggies you can sign up online for them to mail you coupons, but I found that Sam's Club didn't except coupons, but were still cheaper than anywhere else even using the coupons. (I don't know about Costco tho.) Some people say Pampers smell good, but I thought they smelled awful. I felt like they just intensified the smell.
If you ever want more advice, give me a call (I am not oppinionated at all about what I liked. Ha Ha!)
I like your idea of your "item of the week" I can't wait to see you all cute and preggers!

Jen said...

I would recommend the pampers newborn!!! They are awesome and then after the newborn I would switch to LUVS!!! They have worked great with both my kids... 1boy and 1 girl. Good luck. Oh, and congrats!!! You will be a GREAT MOMMY!!

Lori at I Can Grow People said...

You are smart to be stocking up now! I had my baby at 35 weeks just 10 days before my baby shower and aside from a few onesies, a carseat and a crib, we didn't have much else.

We just ended up the same diapers that we got in the hospital--Pampers. They have worked for us. We have tried a bunch of different wipes. We like the unscented Huggies wipes the best because of the box they come in! We used Parent's Choice wipes once and didn't like them (not wet enough in our opinion.) But you never know, your baby may have delicate skin and may not like certain products (keep your receipts!) Good luck!