Friday, March 21, 2008

My Biggest Pet Peeve



I'll admit it...I have become a "Utah" driver (sorry, Shelly!). You know, the kind that tailgates other cars, drives faster than the speed limit, and swithces lanes with reckless abandon. I'm not proud of this, nor am I afraid to admit it. Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my driving abilities. However, I have noticed recently that my driving habits are beginning to affect other areas of my life. Let me explain.

For the last 2 years and 10 months, I have been communting to Salt Lake City from Orem. Even though this commute is quite mild compared to those of larger metropolitan cities around the country, it has still taken its toll on me. In the beginning, I carpooled with my fabulous cousin, Heather, and a couple other girls that she worked with. By having four different drivers, the actual driving time for each person was cut down to one, possibly two, days a week. And the best part is that we used a portable DVD player during the commute (we successfully watched 10 seasons of "Friends", 2 seasons of "Lost", six seasons of "Alias", and countless movies.) It probably wasn't the safest thing to do, but it sure was entertaining.

Over time, the other girls have moved or had babies--leaving me a lone man on the freeway. Since last September, I have been driving to and from work by myself everyday. I have tried a few things to ease the burden, such as listening to books on tape, and purchasing an Express Lane decal (it allows me to drive in the carpool lane without any other passengers). And even though these measures have lessened my despair, I still find myself getting more and more aggressive as the days go by.

For example, my biggest pet peeve has become the drivers using the carpool lane that aren't driving as fast as I want them to. It is SO aggravating having to drive behind a slow vehicle when there are no other cars in front of them, and I have no opportunities to pass them. I have quickly memorized all of the entrance/exit points for the carpool lane, and I frequently make lane changes in order to pass slow drivers. Unfortunately, my driving motto has become: "If you don't want to drive as fast as I want to...GET OUT OF MY WAY!" Sad, huh?!

Like I said before, this attitude has filtered its way into other areas of my life. For instance, I am usually in a bad mood when I first get to work. I constantly feel anxious and frustrated, and it can take awhile for me to get over it. Likewise, I feel the same way after driving home. I try not to let it affect my time with Chris, but it doesn't always work that way. Plus, Chris doesn't really like to drive with me anymore. He thinks I'm too impatient and that I yell at the other cars too much (it's true!).

With that being said, I should also mention that I am currently looking for another job--one that is MUCH closer to home. I hope to be rid of this anxiety and frustration before long, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Ames and Jer-da-me said...

Sounds like you are prepped and ready to come drive in NJ. NJ drivers are Utah drivers times like a billion. And Jer and I have totally become NJ drivers. Is it sad when we come to UT to visit we have to really make a conscious effort to calm it down. What is funny is that we drive around like New Jersian's with our Utah plates, and then get mad when cars with NJ plates are not following the unwritten rules of driving in NJ. I mean we aren't even from NJ and we adobted the NJ rules of driving, they were possibly raised here and aren't following the rules, what's that all about.

But we totally understand the frusteration. The worst for us is on Sundays. Jer and I get to church seriously fuming mad...and often times not even talking to each other...because driving there is such an annoyance.

Shelly said...

I will not comment further. :)

Lindsey said...

Court-

It was so good to see you and Chris yesterday and I'm excited to read your blog and see how newlywed life is treating you guys! You can check out our blog www.lindseysteve.blogspot.com :)

Kathy said...

You should come visit us in SoCal and you'd fit right in! I know what you mean about getting agressive. We've noticed the same thing about our driving here. Sad but true.