Tuesday, March 11, 2008

There's always a first for everything

I had the opportunity of experiencing something for the first time today, which I'm sure many of you have previously experienced...EYE DILATION! And I'll tell you what--it's been quite the experience! First of all, I had no idea what the process entailed, nor did I know what the after effects would be like. And since I consider it to be an interesting experience, I'm going to share it with you.

First of all, I like to make any and all appointments first thing in the morning (it's a lot easier for me to go into work late, than to leave early). So, I went to my scheduled eye exam appointment at 8:15 this morning. After a quick and fairly routine exam, the doctor was happy that my eyes hadn't changed much and was pleased that I was enjoying my contacts. He mentioned that unless I had any problems, I wouldn't need to come in again for another year--which is quite standard. And then, out of nowhere, he suggests that I have my eyes dilated at some point. He said it didn't matter when I did it, but that it should be done in the near future. He then proceeded to ask me where I was going afterwards, and what I would be doing for the rest of the day. I told him the truth, and nothing but the truth: I would be driving to Salt Lake and going to work as an administrative assistant for a construction company, and sitting in front of a computer all day (of course, I didn't say it quite like that, but all those details came out in the course of our conversation). He figured that was a good enough answer, so he gave the go-ahead for the procedure. He said that besides being a little blurry for awhile, I should be fine. And that, my friends, was an understatement!

I left the doctor's office and remembered that I needed to get some gas before I got on the freeway. I knew I was in trouble when I couldn't read the gas pump--at all! I guessed at which way to slide my debit card, and squinted really hard when selecting the gas grade. I figured it would get better as time went on, so I continued on my way to work. I'll admit--the road signs were a little difficult to read, and my spedomoter was even worse! Keep in mind that I had my sunglasses on this whole time, because the light was too bright.

Forty-five minutes later, I got to work, but not much had changed. I tried to take off my sunglasses, but my eyes instinctively shut and started to water. I figured I would risk looking like a fool and wear my sunglasses in the office. I wasn't sure what, if anything, I would be able to do, especially because I couldn't see anything, let alone read anything. Luckily, I know where most things are on my desktop, and I was able to make out a few things in various Excel files. I was able to get a few things accomplished, and I was able to avoid major mistakes.
Fast forward to now: 3:30 pm. I have removed my sunglasses (even though the light is still really bright) and I can actually read most things--including this blog post :) I have a bit of a headache, but I'm sure I will live. I am looking forward to the drive home because I know it can't be any worse than my drive to work was.

The best part of this whole experience was hearing what people said to me. Several people commented on my diva-like glasses, and figured I was starting a new trend. Many others had experienced eye dilation themselves, so they sympathized with me. I actually had one guy ask me if I had a shiner--true story! I thought to myself, "I'm so sure. I've only been married a month, and my husband is already beating me. And in order hide my shame and/or embarassment, I decided to wear sunglasses to work, in hopes that no one would notice." It was hysterical!

All in all, this has been a very interesting day. And I would have to say that eye dilation is more of an annoyance than anything else. I'm just glad I don't have to it again anytime soon.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

I hear ya. I'm not sure why the dr's think it's okay for you to drive when your eyes do nothing but wig out and not focus on anything. It's like driving when you're so tired and you can't focus your eyes for the life of you! I just wanted to let you know I share your...frustration? If that's what it can be called...

~Amber~ said...

I'm am glad to hear my dear cousin did not wreck on the way to work.....by the way....what were you doing driving while blind???!!!! Crazy girl!

inanechatter said...

What exactly is the point of eye dilation? Sounds like a crazy day!